ready to (re)start

1234

ready to (re)start

Kieren MacMillan
Hi Carl, Frogs, Graham, et al.:

I've now got Mac OS X 10.6 installed on my computer, several GB of extra HD space, and am ready to try to get a Lilypond build system set up so that I can do some Lilypond development work.

Hopefully, it will not be nearly as frustrating [and time-consuming] as my [failed] attempts on OS 10.4…  =\
Are there any mentors out there who can walk me through setting up git, etc., in the least possible time with the least possible anguish?

Thanks,
Kieren.

Re: ready to (re)start

Graham Percival
On Wed, Jan 13, 2010 at 10:35:19AM -0500, Kieren MacMillan wrote:
> Are there any mentors out there who can walk me through setting
> up git, etc., in the least possible time with the least possible
> anguish?

I am more than willing to mentor you for the initial stages --
i.e. setting up git, compiling, and making a small patch to the
docs.  I know you don't want to work on the docs, but I'm just
thinking of a 5 or 6-line patch to one of the pages on the
website.  It'll only take 5 minutes of non-generic development
time.  Deal?  :)
(I mean, all the extra time over those 5 minutes would be spent
de-tangling problems that you'd encounter with code patches, so in
that sense the extra time wouldn't be wasted)

To begin with, find the lily-git script.  I wish I could tell you
that the link was in the CG, but you arrived about one week too
early for that.  :(

If you remember gitweb, go there and find the scripts/auxiliar/
directory; download lily-git, then run that on the command-line:
  chmod u+x lily-git.tcl
  ./lily-git.tcl

you can run it directly from your desktop or download folder or
wherever the file ended up.

Cheers,
- Graham

Re: ready to (re)start

Kieren MacMillan
Hi Graham,

> I am more than willing to mentor you for the initial stages

Thanks.

> Deal?  :)

Deal.

http://git.savannah.gnu.org/gitweb/?p=lilypond.git;a=tree;f=scripts/auxiliar

> download lily-git

1. Created a folder on my HD called "dev".
2. Downloaded the 'raw' file to that location.

> then run that on the command-line:
>  chmod u+x lily-git.tcl
>  ./lily-git.tcl

Result:
./lily-git.tcl: line 19: syntax error near unexpected token `}'
./lily-git.tcl: line 19: `} else {'

Next?
Kieren.

Re: ready to (re)start

Graham Percival
On Wed, Jan 13, 2010 at 12:21:41PM -0500, Kieren MacMillan wrote:

> Hi Graham,
>
> > then run that on the command-line:
> >  chmod u+x lily-git.tcl
> >  ./lily-git.tcl
>
> Result:
> ./lily-git.tcl: line 19: syntax error near unexpected token `}'
> ./lily-git.tcl: line 19: `} else {'
>
> Next?

Next, I have a good long cry.

Ok, more seriously, try
  which wish

oh, and do you have the OSX developer tools installer?  Or Xcode
tools, or whatever they call them?  They used to come on a
separate CD, but maybe these days they're on a separate folder on
the installation DVD?

Does
  gcc --version
come up with anything?

... oh wait a moment, you have to have wish installed for it to
get that far.  Hmm.... type
  wish<TAB>

I'm expecting to see something like
  wish      wish8.4   wish8.5

Cheers,
- Graham

Re: ready to (re)start

Kieren MacMillan
Hi Graham,

> Next, I have a good long cry.

Me first.

> Ok, more seriously, try
>  which wish

/opt/local/bin/wish

> oh, and do you have the OSX developer tools installer?

Yes, on the Snow Leopard install DVD.

> Does
>  gcc --version
> come up with anything?

Nope.

> type
>  wish<TAB>

<flash>

> I'm expecting to see something like
>  wish      wish8.4   wish8.5

Nope.
Kieren.

Re: ready to (re)start

Graham Percival
On Wed, Jan 13, 2010 at 01:07:53PM -0500, Kieren MacMillan wrote:
> Hi Graham,
>
> > Ok, more seriously, try
> >  which wish
>
> /opt/local/bin/wish

ok, so it came from macports.

> > oh, and do you have the OSX developer tools installer?
>
> Yes, on the Snow Leopard install DVD.
>
> > Does
> >  gcc --version
> > come up with anything?
>
> Nope.

???
well, that'll be a serious problem once we have git, but let's
tackle this step by step.

> > type
> >  wish<TAB>
>
> <flash>

Umm.  Sorry, try hitting <TAB> twice.  Alternately,
  ls /opt/local/bin/wish*

Hmm... silly question, but does anything look weird in
lily-git.tcl ?  I'm wondering if the lines got messed up somehow.
In particular, lines 12 to 19, and 19 to 26, should be an
if {...} {
} else {
}

construct.  Each line should begin with a "set", unless there's a
\ at the end of the line above it.

Cheers,
- Graham

Re: ready to (re)start

Kieren MacMillan
Hi Graham,

> ok, so it came from macports.

Likely.

> ???
> well, that'll be a serious problem once we have git,
> but let's tackle this step by step.

During the meanwhilst, I just finished installing the Snow Leopard Developer Tools…

>  ls /opt/local/bin/wish*

/opt/local/bin/wish /opt/local/bin/wish8.5

> Hmm... silly question, but does anything look weird in
> lily-git.tcl ?  I'm wondering if the lines got messed up somehow.
> In particular, lines 12 to 19, and 19 to 26, should be an
> if {...} {
> } else {
> }
>
> construct.  Each line should begin with a "set", unless there's a
> \ at the end of the line above it.

Seems okay.

Cheers,
Kieren.

Re: ready to (re)start

Graham Percival
On Wed, Jan 13, 2010 at 01:24:19PM -0500, Kieren MacMillan wrote:

> Hi Graham,
>
> > I'm wondering if the lines got messed up somehow.
> > In particular, lines 12 to 19, and 19 to 26, should be an
> > if {...} {
> > } else {
> > }
> >
> > construct.  Each line should begin with a "set", unless there's a
> > \ at the end of the line above it.
>
> Seems okay.

Hmm... maybe the dir is confusing things?  Try
  wish lily-git.tcl

Carl, feel free to step in any time, because I'm getting to the
end of my rope.

Kieren, if that doesn't work, could you try clicking on
http://git.savannah.gnu.org/gitweb/?p=lilypond.git;a=blob_plain;f=scripts/auxiliar/lily-git.tcl;h=0124ecc464fdd5d4c860e374dbaec4e57a12eaf4;hb=HEAD
directly?  (if the link works... I got it from clicking on the
"raw" link while looking at scripts/auxiliar/lily-git.tcl on
gitweb.  I know you said that it downloaded ok and that the file
looked ok, but I'm really grasping at straws here.  :(

I'd understand if the problem was later on, but the if/else
construct is pretty basic.

Cheers,
- Graham

RE: ready to (re)start

J_ames
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

RE: ready to (re)start

J_ames
CONTENTS DELETED

CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: ready to (re)start

Kieren MacMillan
Hi James (et al.),

> wish lily-git.tcl
> works! or at least I get a GUI and can download the source.
> Also you don't need to set the permissions on the lily-git file it is already set.

/usr/bin/wish lily-git.tcl

works for me — thanks.

Next step, anyone?
Kieren.

RE: ready to (re)start

J_ames
CONTENTS DELETED

On Wed, Jan 13, 2010 at 03:28:17PM -0500, Kieren MacMillan wrote:
> Hi James (et al.),
>
> > wish lily-git.tcl
> > works! or at least I get a GUI and can download the source.
> > Also you don't need to set the permissions on the lily-git file it is already set.
>
> /usr/bin/wish lily-git.tcl
>
> works for me — thanks.

Great!  Hmm, what about simply
  wish lily-git.tcl
?  If that works, let's make it the command in
contributor/working.itexi

BTW, who wants to take notes to add to CG 2.1 ?  (the lily-git
section in the not-quite-yet pushed new CG 2 chapter)

> Next step, anyone?

Get the GUI up, and click the "1. get source" (or something like
that).

If you've already done it, do it again, but the button should be
"1. update source".  It probably won't change anything (it's only
been an hour or two), but click it anyway to get in the habit.

Now go to a command-line, go to the ~/lilypond-git/ dir, and do
  ./autogen.sh

it might / probably will pop up some error messages about you
needing various extra software.  If you can figure out what
package in macports it is, install the package with
  port install PACKAGENAME
iirc.  If that fails, see the macports docs.

If you're not certain what the package name is, send me the error
or warning that ./autogen.sh gave you, and I'll tell you what to
install.

Once you can run ./autogen.sh then run "make".  If you have
multiple CPUs, then you could do "make -jX" where X is the number
of CPUs, but that's optional.

Cheers,
- Graham

Re: ready to (re)start

Kieren MacMillan
Hi Graham,

> Great!  Hmm, what about simply
>  wish lily-git.tcl
> ?  If that works, let's make it the command in
> contributor/working.itexi

Application initialization failed: couldn't connect to display ":0.0"
Error in startup script: couldn't connect to display ":0.0"
    while executing
"load /opt/local/lib/tk8.5/../libtk8.5.dylib Tk"
    ("package ifneeded Tk 8.5.6" script)
    invoked from within
"package require Tk"
    (file "lily-git.tcl" line 27)

No doubt this is related to the fact that I have two [conflicting?] wish installations: one from macports (previous, fails), one from DevTools (current, works).
I'll try to figure out how to delete the old/broken/macports one without messing up the new/works/DevTools one…

> BTW, who wants to take notes to add to CG 2.1 ?  (the lily-git
> section in the not-quite-yet pushed new CG 2 chapter)
>
>> Next step, anyone?
>
> Get the GUI up, and click the "1. get source" (or something like
> that).
>
> If you've already done it, do it again, but the button should be
> "1. update source".  It probably won't change anything (it's only
> been an hour or two), but click it anyway to get in the habit.

OK.

> Now go to a command-line, go to the ~/lilypond-git/ dir

Can I put this directory somewhere else?

> , and do
>  ./autogen.sh

OK.

> it might / probably will pop up some error messages about you
> needing various extra software.  If you can figure out what
> package in macports it is, install the package with
>  port install PACKAGENAME
> iirc.  If that fails, see the macports docs.
>
> If you're not certain what the package name is, send me the error
> or warning that ./autogen.sh gave you, and I'll tell you what to
> install.

No errors!!

> Once you can run ./autogen.sh then run "make".

Seems to be going — will report back on result.

Thanks,
Kieren.

Re: ready to (re)start

Kieren MacMillan
Hi all,

Everything went fine for a while… but then

This is METAFONT, Version 2.71828 (Web2C 7.5.6)
kpathsea: Running mktexfmt mf.base
tcfmgr: config file `tcfmgr.map' (usually in $TEXMFMAIN/texconfig) not found.
fmtutil: config file `fmtutil.cnf' not found.
I can't find the base file `mf.base'!
make[1]: *** [out/feta11.log] Error 1
make: *** [all] Error 2

and it stopped compiling.

Scanning through the earlier output, there were a lot of warnings of type

cc1plus: warning: command line option "-Wstrict-prototypes" is valid for C/ObjC but not for C++
cc1plus: warning: command line option "-Wstrict-prototypes" is valid for C/ObjC but not for C++
cc1plus: warning: command line option "-Wstrict-prototypes" is valid for C/ObjC but not for C++

but the process seemed not to mind too much. The most egregious-looking warning was

lexer.ll:631: warning, rule cannot be matched
lexer.ll:634: warning, rule cannot be matched
lexer.ll:703: warning, -s option given but default rule can be matched

Now what?
Kieren.

Re: ready to (re)start

On 1/13/10 8:35 AM, "Kieren MacMillan" <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Hi Carl, Frogs, Graham, et al.:
>
> I've now got Mac OS X 10.6 installed on my computer, several GB of extra HD
> space, and am ready to try to get a Lilypond build system set up so that I can
> do some Lilypond development work.
>
> Hopefully, it will not be nearly as frustrating [and time-consuming] as my
> [failed] attempts on OS 10.4S  =\
> Are there any mentors out there who can walk me through setting up git, etc.,
> in the least possible time with the least possible anguish?

I can help you with 10.5, but I haven't done anything with 10.6, so I don't
know what the 10.6 specific issues are.

I have installed my LilyPond build system using MacPorts.

First thing to do is get MacPorts set up.  I don't have internet access
right now, so I can't give you a link.

Once you have MacPorts set up, you can install git:

sudo port install git

Once git is installed, you can create a git lilypond repository.  The
easiest way to do that is with lily-git.tcl, which you can download from the
Savannah git repository:

http://git.savannah.gnu.org/gitweb/?p=lilypond.git

by going to scripts/auxiliar

You can then install LilyPond either with the MacPorts install

sudo port install lilypond

or with Nicolas Sceaux's excellent instructions:

<http://nicolas.sceaux.free.fr/index.php/2008/11/30/26>

Nicolas's instructions use fewer dependencies, and install less on your hard
drive.  But they have more steps for you to take.

If you have questions, please feel free to ask.

Re: ready to (re)start

John Mandereau
Hi Kieren,
Le mercredi 13 janvier 2010 à 16:25 -0500, Kieren MacMillan a écrit :
> This is METAFONT, Version 2.71828 (Web2C 7.5.6)
> kpathsea: Running mktexfmt mf.base
> tcfmgr: config file `tcfmgr.map' (usually in $TEXMFMAIN/texconfig) not found.
> fmtutil: config file `fmtutil.cnf' not found.
> I can't find the base file `mf.base'!
> make[1]: *** [out/feta11.log] Error 1
> make: *** [all] Error 2
>
> and it stopped compiling.

It looks like your TeX installation isn't complete or not completely
configured.  What is your TeX distro, where is it installed and how did
you install it?

> Scanning through the earlier output, there were a lot of warnings of type

These warnings for lilypond binary (C++/Flex) are unrelated to the error
of Metefont.

Cheers,
John

Re: ready to (re)start

On 1/13/10 2:25 PM, "Kieren MacMillan" <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Everything went fine for a whileS but then
>
> This is METAFONT, Version 2.71828 (Web2C 7.5.6)
> kpathsea: Running mktexfmt mf.base
> tcfmgr: config file `tcfmgr.map' (usually in $TEXMFMAIN/texconfig) not found.
> fmtutil: config file `fmtutil.cnf' not found.
> I can't find the base file `mf.base'!
> make[1]: *** [out/feta11.log] Error 1
> make: *** [all] Error 2
>
> and it stopped compiling.
>
> Scanning through the earlier output, there were a lot of warnings of type
>
> cc1plus: warning: command line option "-Wstrict-prototypes" is valid for
> C/ObjC but not for C++
> cc1plus: warning: command line option "-Wstrict-prototypes" is valid for
> C/ObjC but not for C++
> cc1plus: warning: command line option "-Wstrict-prototypes" is valid for
> C/ObjC but not for C++

Ignore these warnings.  They're part of a successful build.

> but the process seemed not to mind too much. The most egregious-looking
> warning was
>
> lexer.ll:631: warning, rule cannot be matched
> lexer.ll:634: warning, rule cannot be matched
> lexer.ll:703: warning, -s option given but default rule can be matched

On 10.5, I need to use the MacPorts FlexLexer, which requires editing
config.make.

See Nicolas's instructions if you need them.

Sorry I couldn't respond earlier; I've been on an plane.

Re: ready to (re)start

Kieren,

Please check the log from the configure to make sure it's not messed up.
After downloading an OS update, my LilyPond build started failing.

The secret to making it build again is found in

http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.gnu.lilypond.devel/26677/focus=26713

You can check the thread to see the errors that I had show up.

wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Everything went fine for a whileS but then
>
> This is METAFONT, Version 2.71828 (Web2C 7.5.6)
> kpathsea: Running mktexfmt mf.base
> tcfmgr: config file `tcfmgr.map' (usually in $TEXMFMAIN/texconfig) not found.
> fmtutil: config file `fmtutil.cnf' not found.
> I can't find the base file `mf.base'!
> make[1]: *** [out/feta11.log] Error 1
> make: *** [all] Error 2
>
> and it stopped compiling.
>
> Scanning through the earlier output, there were a lot of warnings of type
>
> cc1plus: warning: command line option "-Wstrict-prototypes" is valid for
> C/ObjC but not for C++
> cc1plus: warning: command line option "-Wstrict-prototypes" is valid for
> C/ObjC but not for C++
> cc1plus: warning: command line option "-Wstrict-prototypes" is valid for
> C/ObjC but not for C++
>
> but the process seemed not to mind too much. The most egregious-looking
> warning was
>
> lexer.ll:631: warning, rule cannot be matched
> lexer.ll:634: warning, rule cannot be matched
> lexer.ll:703: warning, -s option given but default rule can be matched
>
> Now what?
> Kieren.

1234