joining the team

wbajzek
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: joining the team

Trevor D-2

William Bajzek wrote Wednesday, August 04, 2010 10:01 PM

> I've been a Lilypond user for a year and a half or
> so, and I have some extra time on my hands now and
> would like to get involved.

Great! Thanks.

> I have 15+ years of coding experience, but not yet
> (AFAIK) with any languages that Lilypond uses. What's
> a good place for me to start?

Carl Sorensen runs the frogs, but I believe he is on
vacation this week.  In his absence I suggest you read
through the Contributor's Guide:
http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.13///Documentation/contributor/index

and familiarise yourself with the bug tracker:
http://code.google.com/p/lilypond/issues/list

Have a look there at the issues with Accepted status and
a Frog label and see if you fancy tackling any of them.
Then post any queries you have on this list and we'll
try to help until Carl gets back.

Trevor

Re: joining the team

wbajzek
CONTENTS DELETED

CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: joining the team

Trevor D-2
OK; I'm happy to work with you on this, but it will
need you to be able to build the web.  This in turn means
you need to be able to obtain the source in a git repository.
The way to do this is in the Contributor's Guide, section 2.
Unless you're git-aware use lily-git described in 2.1.

The first step is to work through CG 2.1 and send me a test
patch set.  Anything will do, but we may as start with one of
the web css's.  When you have the source available navigate to
Documentation/css, make a trivial change to lilypond.css
(anything will do for a test - "WB woz 'ere" for example)
save it, and send me a patch set.  When you've done that
successfully we can go on to something more concrete.

BTW, I see you use Apple Mail; does that mean you use a Mac?

Trevor

I'll take a look at the CSS bug, #1105. Although I'm more interested
in how Lilypond itself works, I am comfortable with CSS and it seems
like a helpful way to get my feet wet. I'll have to figure out how
the website stuff is generated and the styles are referenced so I
can figure out what is being used.

On Aug 4, 2010, at 4:10 PM, Trevor Daniels wrote:

> William Bajzek wrote Wednesday, August 04, 2010 10:01 PM
>

>> I've been a Lilypond user for a year and a half or so, and I have
>> some extra time on my hands now and would like to get involved.
>
> Great! Thanks.
>
>> I have 15+ years of coding experience, but not yet (AFAIK) with
>> any languages that Lilypond uses. What's a good place for me to
>> start?
>
> Carl Sorensen runs the frogs, but I believe he is on
> vacation this week.  In his absence I suggest you read
> through the Contributor's Guide:
> http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.13///Documentation/contributor/index
>
> and familiarise yourself with the bug tracker:
> http://code.google.com/p/lilypond/issues/list
>
> Have a look there at the issues with Accepted status and
> a Frog label and see if you fancy tackling any of them.
> Then post any queries you have on this list and we'll
> try to help until Carl gets back.
>
> Trevor

- William Bajzek

Re: joining the team

wbajzek
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: joining the team

Trevor D-2

William Bajzek wrote Sunday, August 08, 2010 8:28 PM

> I've already got the source with Git and compiled using lilybuntu.

Great!  That's a good start.

> On Aug 8, 2010, at 12:09 PM, Trevor Daniels wrote:
>
>> The first step is to work through CG 2.1 and send me a test
>> patch set.
>
> OK. I will probably get to that tomorrow.

Fine

>> BTW, I see you use Apple Mail; does that mean you use a Mac?
>
> Yeah. Like I said, I've been able to build using
> the virtual machine image.

I use a VM running ubuntu, too, although under Windows Vista.

> If there's a way to do it on Snow Leopard now, I'd be
> happy to hear it but last time when I tried downloading
> all the prerequisites, it looked like a multi-day task
> and I bailed.

I don't remember anyone succeeding, but I may be wrong -
I don't follow Mac mails very carefully.  Anyone else
know better?

> - William Bajzek

Trevor

Re: joining the team

Graham Percival
On Sun, Aug 08, 2010 at 11:32:46PM +0100, Trevor Daniels wrote:

> William Bajzek wrote Sunday, August 08, 2010 8:28 PM
>
>> If there's a way to do it on Snow Leopard now, I'd be
>> happy to hear it but last time when I tried downloading
>> all the prerequisites, it looked like a multi-day task
>> and I bailed.
>
> I don't remember anyone succeeding, but I may be wrong -
> I don't follow Mac mails very carefully.  Anyone else
> know better?

Carl does it on 10.5, but don't bother.  The VM approach is
better.

Cheers,
- Graham

Re: joining the team

Trevor D-2

William Bajzek wrote Tuesday, August 10, 2010 3:57 PM

Copied to -frogs, so others can benefit and contribute.

> On Aug 8, 2010, at 12:09 PM, Trevor Daniels wrote:
>
>> The first step is to work through CG 2.1 and send me a test
>> patch set.  Anything will do, but we may as start with one of
>> the web css's.  When you have the source available navigate to
>> Documentation/css, make a trivial change to lilypond.css
>> (anything will do for a test - "WB woz 'ere" for example)
>> save it, and send me a patch set.  When you've done that
>> successfully we can go on to something more concrete.
>
> I've got it building the docs now, which apparently didn't
> succeed before. I started it about 12 hours ago and it's
> STILL compiling. If subsequent runs aren't an order of
> magnitude faster, this is going to be too impractical for
> me. I've got a 2GHz Core 2 Duo w/ 4 gigs of RAM, any advice
> for configuring the VM so it will perform better?

The first run does take several hours when compiling the
docs.  Subsequent runs, having changed a few files, are
much quicker, 10 mins or so.  Compiling just the website
is quicker still, so hang in there.  Fortunately it's not
necessary to compile the complete set of docs often.  When
it is I usually set it off and retire for the night.

How much virtual memory have you given your VM?  I have
a weaker base machine than yours - duo, 1.66GHz, 3Mb RAM, with
a VM running in 740Mb, and find it just about usable in
both systems, although noticeably slower than native mode.

Anything less than 740Mb will page badly.  As you have more
RAM than I have maybe you could spare 1500Mb for the VM.

> - William Bajzek

Trevor

Re: joining the team

Graham Percival
On Tue, Aug 10, 2010 at 04:42:52PM +0100, Trevor Daniels wrote:

> William Bajzek wrote Tuesday, August 10, 2010 3:57 PM
>
> Copied to -frogs, so others can benefit and contribute.
>
>> I've got it building the docs now, which apparently didn't succeed
>> before. I started it about 12 hours ago and it's STILL compiling. If
>> subsequent runs aren't an order of magnitude faster, this is going to
>> be too impractical for me. I've got a 2GHz Core 2 Duo w/ 4 gigs of RAM,
>> any advice for configuring the VM so it will perform better?
>
> The first run does take several hours when compiling the
> docs.

Yeah, but 12 hours?!

I managed to build the entire docs on an eee701 -- 603 mhz, 512
megs ram -- in less than 6 hours.  Not /much/ less, but still
less.  On a core 2 duo, I'd expect it to finish in around 4 hours.

Granted, I've never played with a VM, but something sounds fishy
to me.

Cheers,
- Graham

Re: joining the team

wbajzek
CONTENTS DELETED

CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: joining the team

Trevor D-2

Graham Percival wrote Tuesday, August 10, 2010 4:47 PM

> On Tue, Aug 10, 2010 at 04:42:52PM +0100, Trevor Daniels wrote:
>>
>> The first run does take several hours when compiling the
>> docs.
>
> Yeah, but 12 hours?!

Depends critally on the RAM given to the VM.  Anything less
than 500MB and the VM will thrash.  Once thrashing starts
the time can increase by an order of magnitude.

> I managed to build the entire docs on an eee701 -- 603 mhz, 512
> megs ram -- in less than 6 hours.  Not /much/ less, but still
> less.  On a core 2 duo, I'd expect it to finish in around 4 hours.

Usually only one cpu is given to the VM, so being duo
is only a help when using the VM and the host at the
time.  Being a duo has no effect on the time taken to
build the docs in a VM.

> Granted, I've never played with a VM, but something sounds fishy
> to me.

Doing a full doc compile on my laptop under VM takes
around 5-6 hours I guess.  That's in 740Mb.  IIRC I
had to increase it from the 500Mb I had initially to
prevent it trashing.

Trevor

Re: joining the team

Trevor D-2

William Bajzek wrote Tuesday, August 10, 2010 5:17 PM

> On Aug 8, 2010, at 12:09 PM, Trevor Daniels wrote:
>>
>> The first step is to work through CG 2.1 and send me a test
>> patch set.  Anything will do, but we may as start with one of
>> the web css's.  When you have the source available navigate to
>> Documentation/css, make a trivial change to lilypond.css
>> (anything will do for a test - "WB woz 'ere" for example)
>> save it, and send me a patch set.  When you've done that
>> successfully we can go on to something more concrete.
>

> Here is a test patch:
> http://dl.dropbox.com/u/597433/lilypatch/0001-Test-patch.patch

Great!  It looks perfect, and applies cleanly.

We can get down to business - on to 1105.

I've updated 1105 to "started" and indicated you're
looking into it.  I'll help, but I'm just learning how
the web build works myself, so we'll learn together.

Here's what Patrick McCarty told me:

> The file "lilypond-mccarty.css" is used for the docs
> (everything except the website), and "lilypond-web.css"
> is used for the website.
>
> There is quite a bit of overlap between the two CSS files,
> and as Graham mentioned, combining them into one CSS file
> would be an ideal solution.

I'm not sure yet whether we can combine the two css files.
The first step is to order them in the same way so we can
compare them.  I suggest you use lilypond-mccarty.css as
the model and recast lilypond-web.css the same way, without
introducing any functional changes.  You can do this in
sections, sending me patches as you go, or all at once,
but I suggest smallish sections to begin with.

You'll need to test your changes before you send me the
patch.  You can do this by editing the lilypond-web.css
file in
../lilypond-git/out-www/offline-root/Documentation/
while looking at the html starting at
..lilypond-git/out-www/offline-root/Documentation/web/index.html
Changes to that css file will show up immediately, although
for this first task there shouldn't be any :) (you might try
an obvious change which you later revert to reassure
yourself everything is working as intended.)

When you're ready to submit a patch you'll need to copy the
changed css file into
../lilypond-git/Documentation/css/
overwriting the old lilypond-web.css file, and generate a
patch.

That sounds a little mundane, so if you spot anything you
think could be improved as you go please suggest it.

> - William Bajzek

Trevor

Re: joining the team

Trevor D-2

Trevor Daniels wrote Tuesday, August 10, 2010 7:22 PM

My earlier message contained an error, which I've just
noticed.  It said:

> You'll need to test your changes before you send me the
> patch.  You can do this by editing the lilypond-web.css
> file in
> ../lilypond-git/out-www/offline-root/Documentation/

This should be
../lilypond-git/out-www/offline-root/Documentation/web/

> while looking at the html starting at
> ..lilypond-git/out-www/offline-root/Documentation/web/index.html
> Changes to that css file will show up immediately, although
> for this first task there shouldn't be any :) (you might try
> an obvious change which you later revert to reassure
> yourself everything is working as intended.)

Sorry about that; hope you haven't wasted too much time
wondering why it didn't work :(

Trevor

Re: joining the team

wbajzek
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: joining the team

Trevor D-2

William Bajzek Wednesday, August 11, 2010 12:53 AM

> So far I have just been looking through the css files
> and figuring out how/if they can be combined. There
> are some obvious differences between the common elements,
> even the basic body tag.

Yes.  They almost certainly can't be combined into a single
file but I'm sure some common elements can be separated
out into a file we can either make persistent or group
with the files containing the differing elements.  We can't
tell until the files can be aligned easily.

> What are the lilypond-web-alt*.css ones used for?

If you inspect the source of any page you'll see these are
specified as alternate files.  However, this is probably no
longer needed - they were used to permit developers to see
various designs during the web development phase.  I'll
check with other developers; if no one wants them we should
be able to delete them.

> is lilypond.css being used now at all, or is it just
> -mccarty and -web?

That's one of the things we need to discover.  Try using
git grep to search the git repository for the strings.

> - William Bajzek

Trevor