Outdated LSR items

Mats Bengtsson-3
I leave it to other to decide if this is a prioritized issue, but there
are a number of LSR items that don't work as expected. Especially, I
noticed some problems because of the new skyline handling and placement
of text scripts in version 2.12. I just posted an update myself to
http://lsr.dsi.unimi.it/LSR/Item?id=285 but noted the same problem for
example in http://lsr.dsi.unimi.it/LSR/Item?id=387, where you need to
add a \textLengthOn command to show what is supposed to be shown, namely
the vertical alignment of the text scripts.

Another outdated snippet is http://lsr.dsi.unimi.it/LSR/Item?id=400
which shows a workaround that's no longer needed, but perhaps it's an
intentional decision to keep it anyway so that people using earlier
LilyPond versions can find it.

I'm sure there are many more outdated snippets, given that I found a
three in a few minutes more or less by accident.

    /Mats

        Mats Bengtsson
        Signal Processing
        School of Electrical Engineering
        Royal Institute of Technology (KTH)
        SE-100 44  STOCKHOLM
        Sweden
        Phone: (+46) 8 790 8463
        Fax:   (+46) 8 790 7260
        Email: [hidden email]
        WWW: http://www.s3.kth.se/~mabe

Re: Outdated LSR items

Valentin Villenave
Administrator
On Thu, Jan 14, 2010 at 5:30 PM, Mats Bengtsson
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> I leave it to other to decide if this is a prioritized issue, but there are
> a number of LSR items that don't work as expected.

Wow, thanks Mats (sorry for not having noticed your mail sooner).
Fwding to bug-.

Cheers,
Valentin

Re: Outdated LSR items

Graham Percival
On Wed, Feb 03, 2010 at 03:00:44AM +0100, Valentin Villenave wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 14, 2010 at 5:30 PM, Mats Bengtsson
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > I leave it to other to decide if this is a prioritized issue, but there are
> > a number of LSR items that don't work as expected.
>
> Wow, thanks Mats (sorry for not having noticed your mail sooner).
> Fwding to bug-.

Why forward it?

This is a problem that we've known about for years.  LSR attempts
to bridge a gap between:
- official docs, which require serious oversight and editing.
- unofficialy docs, wherein people can do whatever the mao they
  want, as quickly as they want.  However, it might not be easy
  for other users to find those docs, and there's no guarantee
  that those docs will be well-maintained in the future.

We most certainly don't have the resources to edit all of LSR.
The best we can do, IMO, is to keep the doc-tagged snippets
compilable.  We do that in Documentation/snippets/new/.  In
response to specific problems, we'll update a non-working snippet
in there, but we don't have the resources to actively seek out
even doc-tagged non-working snippets, let alone non-working
snippets in general.

I will be making a particular push to get more casual users being
helpful during GOP.  LSR editing is an ideal task for casual help,
since you only need a web browser and lilypond.  I don't see the
point in having a big recruitment drive until other parts of GOP
are ready to go, though.

Cheers,
- Graham