New Proposed Chapter 1 for Contributors Guide

New Proposed Chapter 1 for Contributors Guide

Ian Hulin
Hi all,
I'm just having a first bash at this, and I'm doing it using OpenOffice Write to produce what I want texinfo to produce, so I can concentrate on the content, rather than getting the texinfo source correct.  I did start trying with the texinfo source in emacs but my brain started overheating so I decided to do this in two stages.

This is very much a draft, some bits of text are placeholders [bits like this in square brackets], where I have put a header in and need something to remind me why it was there.

I realize there are some bits that could be removed and replaced by references to what's in the current CG, but the intention is to give the reader a slightly gentler lead-in to the document before beating them over the with the git, compiling the source, using texinfo mark-up language in emacs etc.

Carl, Graham, anyone else interested, please let me know if you think this is worth me working on further when I next get some more time for Lilypond stuff next weekend.

Cheers,

Ian

Re: New Proposed Chapter 1 for Contributors Guide

Graham Percival
On Sun, Nov 29, 2009 at 08:39:21PM +0000, Ian Hulin wrote:
>    Carl, Graham, anyone else interested, please let me know if you think this
>    is worth me working on further when I next get some more time for Lilypond
>    stuff next weekend.

I'm confused, and slightly scared.  This looks like a rehashing of
Web->Community->Help us, and the CG.  What problem is this
intended to solve?

- I know that the CG might seem difficult to navigate, but when
  the docs are confusing, the answer is almost always to *reduce*
  material, not add it.
- notwithstanding any possible reductions+reorganizations, if
  somebody isn't already aware that we need help, and if they
  can't figure out what they want to help with, then they wouldn't
  be a good helper anyway.

I'm quite serious about the latter point; the retention rate of
potential contributors is quite low, so we don't want to encourage
people to claim to want to get involved if they're not going to
pan out.  If you're seriously interested in this, we could talk
about it, but I think we're already doing as much as we reasonable
can do -- I've discussed it with other leaders of open-source
projects, and if anything we're ahead of the pack.

Have I missed anything?

Cheers,
- Graham