Hello all

panterozo
Hi All:

    I want to contribute to lilypond programming routines and new features.

I download from http://download.linuxaudio.org/lilypond/sources/v2.13/ the latest version of lilypond (lilypond-2.13.30.tar.gz). Then, I run ./configure --prefix=/home/Desktop/Lilypond to building a local version, and from here I don't  what to do. Please, any suggestion to manipulating the source code of lilypond and not die in try will be welcome.

Thanks to all

Re: Hello all

Neil Puttock
On 2 September 2010 21:51, panterozo <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi All:

Hello and welcome. :)

>    I want to contribute to lilypond programming routines and new features.

Great!

If you're interested in tackling existing bugs/enhancements, please
take a look at the bug tracker here:

http://code.google.com/p/lilypond/issues/list

> I download from http://download.linuxaudio.org/lilypond/sources/v2.13/ the
> latest version of lilypond (lilypond-2.13.30.tar.gz). Then, I run
> ./configure --prefix=/home/Desktop/Lilypond to building a local version, and
> from here I don't  what to do. Please, any suggestion to manipulating the
> source code of lilypond and not die in try will be welcome.

Have you looked at the Contributor's Guide for 2.13
(http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.13/Documentation/contributor/index)?  It
should help get you up to speed with compiling, and might save you a
lot of time if you're using a distribution which can install the
dependencies automatically.

The version you've downloaded is a bit out of date; you'll be much
better off cloning the repository via git, especially since it will
help produce nicely formatted patches which are based on the current
code.

Cheers,
Neil

Re: Hello all

Graham Percival
On Thu, Sep 02, 2010 at 10:31:30PM +0100, Neil Puttock wrote:
> On 2 September 2010 21:51, panterozo <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >    I want to contribute to lilypond programming routines and new features.
>
> Great!
>
> If you're interested in tackling existing bugs/enhancements, please
> take a look at the bug tracker here:
>
> http://code.google.com/p/lilypond/issues/list

I recommend particular attention to items with label:Frog.  These
are believed to be relatively easy, self-contained problems
suitable for beginners.
http://code.google.com/p/lilypond/issues/list?can=2&q=label%3Afrog

Cheers,
- Graham

Re: Hello all

On 9/2/10 2:51 PM, "panterozo" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi All:
>
>     I want to contribute to lilypond programming routines and new features.
>
> I download from http://download.linuxaudio.org/lilypond/sources/v2.13/ the
> latest version of lilypond (lilypond-2.13.30.tar.gz). Then, I run
> ./configure --prefix=/home/Desktop/Lilypond to building a local version, and
> from here I don't  what to do. Please, any suggestion to manipulating the
> source code of lilypond and not die in try will be welcome.

Have you succeeded in creating a local version of LilyPond?  From this
message I didn't know if you succeeded or not.  If not, please read the
Contributors' Guide, and see if that can help.  Then ask more questions here
on the frogs list.

If you have succeeded in building LilyPond locally, then go ahead and work
with Neil and Graham's suggestions.

I'd like to second Neil's suggestion of getting git (perhaps with
lily-git.tcl) working.  It will make your life easier.

Re: Hello all

panterozo
Hi again

   I didn't create a local version of lilypond :s

When i run ./configure, that show:

WARNING: Please consider installing optional programs:  /usr/bin/fontforge >= 20100501 (installed: 20080429) pngtopnm convert

See INSTALL.txt for more information on how to build LilyPond

Type:
    make all       to build LilyPond
    make install   to install LilyPond
    make help      to see all possible targets

Edit local.make for local Makefile overrides.

Where i find fontforge >= 20100501 ¿?
And when I run make install, the latest lines shows:

out/lexer.cc: In member function 'void yyFlexLexer::yyensure_buffer_stack()':
out/lexer.cc:5795: warning: conversion to 'int' from 'long unsigned int' may alter its value
rm -f ./out/parser.dep; DEPENDENCIES_OUTPUT="./out/parser.dep ./out/parser.o" g++ -c -Woverloaded-virtual  -I/usr/include/python2.6 -I/usr/include/python2.6 -fno-strict-aliasing  -g -fwrapv     -DHAVE_CONFIG_H  -DNDEBUG -I./include -I./out -I../flower/include -I../flower/./out -I../flower/include  -O2 -finline-functions -g -pipe -pthread -I/usr/include/freetype2   -I/usr/include/pango-1.0 -I/usr/include/freetype2 -I/usr/include/glib-2.0 -I/usr/lib/glib-2.0/include   -Wno-pmf-conversions  -W -Wall -Wconversion -o out/parser.o out/parser.cc
out/parser.cc: In function 'int yyparse(void*)':
out/parser.cc:2447: warning: conversion to 'short int' from 'int' may alter its value
make[1]: *** No rule to make target `../flower/./out/library.a', needed by `out/lilypond'.  Stop.
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/ignacio/lilypond-git/lily'
make: *** [install] Error 2

I don't understand why cannot install it...

The source code was downloaded by lily-git, and I run ./autogen.sh ...

Im working on Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty.

Thanks for the reply ;)

Re: Hello all

Carl Sorensen

On 9/2/10 9:49 PM, "panterozo" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi again
>
>    I didn't create a local version of lilypond :s
>

> When i run ./configure, that show:
>

> WARNING: Please consider installing optional programs:  /usr/bin/fontforge
>> = 20100501 (installed: 20080429) pngtopnm convert
>
> See INSTALL.txt for more information on how to build LilyPond
>
> Type:
>     make all       to build LilyPond
>     make install   to install LilyPond
>     make help      to see all possible targets
>
> Edit local.make for local Makefile overrides.
>
> Where i find fontforge >= 20100501 ¿?

For now, don't worry about it.  The problems you are having have nothing to
do with fontforge.

> And when I run make install, the latest lines shows:
>

> out/lexer.cc: In member function 'void
> yyFlexLexer::yyensure_buffer_stack()':
> out/lexer.cc:5795: warning: conversion to 'int' from 'long unsigned int' may
> alter its value
> rm -f ./out/parser.dep; DEPENDENCIES_OUTPUT="./out/parser.dep
> ./out/parser.o" g++ -c -Woverloaded-virtual  -I/usr/include/python2.6
> -I/usr/include/python2.6 -fno-strict-aliasing  -g -fwrapv
> -DHAVE_CONFIG_H  -DNDEBUG -I./include -I./out -I../flower/include
> -I../flower/./out -I../flower/include  -O2 -finline-functions -g -pipe
> -pthread -I/usr/include/freetype2   -I/usr/include/pango-1.0
> -I/usr/include/freetype2 -I/usr/include/glib-2.0 -I/usr/lib/glib-2.0/include
> -Wno-pmf-conversions  -W -Wall -Wconversion -o out/parser.o out/parser.cc
> out/parser.cc: In function 'int yyparse(void*)':
> out/parser.cc:2447: warning: conversion to 'short int' from 'int' may alter
> its value

None of these warnings are giving you any problem.  They should be fine.

> make[1]: *** No rule to make target `../flower/./out/library.a', needed by
> `out/lilypond'.  Stop.

This is your problem.  It's looking for the file flower/out/library.a, and
can't find it, and doesn't know how to make it.

I currently have a file flower/out/library.a

I have a rule in stepmake/stepmake/executable-rules.make that creates
library.a

Just to see what happens, can you redo your configure without setting
output-prefix?

cd /home/ignacio/lilypond-git

./autogen.sh

./configure  # probably not necessary, but old habits die hard

make

If it doesn't work, report on the errors.

Re: Hello all

panterozo
I run make install and make test and its works ¡¡¡ :D

the program was installed successfully, and i run lilypond from my local directory and its create a pdf with the score. I like to do something with the musicml2ly parser, and add functionality to this. I don't now how to do this, i means, the changes that will generate or where i done that :s.. sorry about my little knowledge about how contribute to the community. I do my best effort, but i need some help to do this.

How I can debug the program and see what he does¿?, or where i find documentation about how works it¿?...

I'm try to run musicml2ly, but dosn't work it

$ ./musicxml2ly ../001.xml
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "./musicxml2ly", line 35, in <module>
    import lilylib as ly
ImportError: No module named lilylib

line 35:
import lilylib as ly
line 36:
_ = ly._

If help to any

Thanks to all again ;)
Sincerely

Re: Hello all

Carl Sorensen
On 9/3/10 11:17 PM, "panterozo" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I run make install and make test and its works ¡¡¡ :D

Congratulations!

> the program was installed successfully, and i run lilypond from my local
> directory and its create a pdf with the score. I like to do something with
> the musicml2ly parser, and add functionality to this. I don't now how to do
> this, i means, the changes that will generate or where i done that :s..
> sorry about my little knowledge about how contribute to the community. I do
> my best effort, but i need some help to do this.

musicxml2ly is a python program.  It is found in the scripts/ directory.

> How I can debug the program and see what he does¿?, or where i find
> documentation about how works it¿?...

The best information that is available on the program is in the
Contributors' Guide.  It's not as good as we'd like, but it's all there is.
You can find it in the online documentation, or you can build local
documentation with make doc

> I'm try to run musicml2ly, but dosn't work it
>
> $ ./musicxml2ly ../001.xml
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "./musicxml2ly", line 35, in <module>
>     import lilylib as ly
> ImportError: No module named lilylib
>
> line 35:
> import lilylib as ly
> line 36:
> _ = ly._

This means that musicxml2ly can't find lilylib.  lilylib is found in
/python.  I would assume this means your paths are messed up somehow.

What directory are you running musicxml2ly from?  Did you copy it to a
working directory somehow?

make test uses musicxml2ly, so if make test runs successfully, then
musicxml2ly runs successfully on your machine, and it's just a question of
figuring out how to get it to work from the command line.

HTH,