Eyeglasses (was Re: -dbackend=svg ... warning: missing stencil expression `embedded-ps')

Eyeglasses (was Re: -dbackend=svg ... warning: missing stencil expression `embedded-ps')

Carl Sorensen
On 6/6/10 7:36 AM, "Neil Puttock" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> 2010/6/4 Patrick McCarty <[hidden email]>:
>
>> Another option is to use the 'path routine.  This isn't documented yet
>> and is a little cumbersome to use, but you can find an example that
>> uses 'path in this snippet:
>>
>>  http://lsr.dsi.unimi.it/LSR/Item?id=623
>
> I see \eyeglasses uses make-postscript-markup; I guess it should be
> rewritten using 'path (or ideally, implemented as a glyph).
> Unfortunately it uses `arc' to create the lenses, which will be a pain
> to approximate using curveto (the usual suggestion being four bezier
> quadrants as a fair approximation. :)

I'd be happy to add it as a glyph.  I've got enough experience in the fonts
now with my work on shape notes that it wouldn't take long.

However, I think there's some value in having something in the distribution
that uses 'path, because that's an easy way for users to add new shapes.

So I'd like to propose that we have the task of changing \eyeglasses from
make-postscript-markup to 'path be a Frog task.

Any takers?

Re: Eyeglasses (was Re: -dbackend=svg ... warning: missing stencil expression `embedded-ps')

Patrick McCarty
On Sun, Jun 6, 2010 at 6:43 AM, Carl Sorensen <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 6/6/10 7:36 AM, "Neil Puttock" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> 2010/6/4 Patrick McCarty <[hidden email]>:
>>
>>> Another option is to use the 'path routine.  This isn't documented yet
>>> and is a little cumbersome to use, but you can find an example that
>>> uses 'path in this snippet:
>>>
>>>  http://lsr.dsi.unimi.it/LSR/Item?id=623
>>
>> I see \eyeglasses uses make-postscript-markup; I guess it should be
>> rewritten using 'path (or ideally, implemented as a glyph).
>> Unfortunately it uses `arc' to create the lenses, which will be a pain
>> to approximate using curveto (the usual suggestion being four bezier
>> quadrants as a fair approximation. :)
>
> I'd be happy to add it as a glyph.  I've got enough experience in the fonts
> now with my work on shape notes that it wouldn't take long.
>
> However, I think there's some value in having something in the distribution
> that uses 'path, because that's an easy way for users to add new shapes.

I think that using 'path would be the better option, also the circles
and semicircle will be a little tricky to code.

> So I'd like to propose that we have the task of changing \eyeglasses from
> make-postscript-markup to 'path be a Frog task.

To make everything easier, we should probably add a new markup
command, \path, so that we can use `make-path-markup' when redefining
\eyeglasses.

Thanks,
Patrick

On Sun, Jun 6, 2010 at 12:16 PM, Patrick McCarty <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I think that using 'path would be the better option, also the circles
> and semicircle will be a little tricky to code.

This should say "... though the circles and semicircle will be a
little tricky to code."

Thanks,
Patrick

Re: Eyeglasses (was Re: -dbackend=svg ... warning: missing stencil expression `embedded-ps')

Patrick McCarty
On Sun, Jun 6, 2010 at 6:43 AM, Carl Sorensen <[hidden email]> wrote:

> So I'd like to propose that we have the task of changing \eyeglasses from
> make-postscript-markup to 'path be a Frog task.
>
> Any takers?

I'll take care of it.  I've added new issues to keep track of my progress:

Patrick