Could a frog spend 20 min to help cellist's thumb?

Could a frog spend 20 min to help cellist's thumb?

Xavier Scheuer
Hi,

I reported, 6 weeks ago, a bug about \thumb behaviour when there is
a slur (which is different than "normal" fingering behaviour).

Mats gave the solution that is simply to change thumb's default value
of "avoid-slur" from "inside" to "around" and Valentin kindly opened
a bug report on the tracker (Issue 1029).

He also added that "This should only take 20 minutes to a Frog".
I would really appreciate if one of you could take care of this.

All infos are here :

  "Issue 1029: \thumb should behave like other fingering"

  Mats' answer: "Re: \thumb and Fingering: different priority?"
  http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-devel/2010-03/msg00034.html

Thanks in advance,
Xavier

--
Xavier Scheuer <[hidden email]>

Re: Could a frog spend 20 min to help cellist's thumb?

Frédéric Bron
> I reported, 6 weeks ago, a bug about \thumb behaviour when there is
> a slur (which is different than "normal" fingering behaviour).
>
> Mats gave the solution that is simply to change thumb's default value
> of "avoid-slur" from "inside" to "around" and Valentin kindly opened
> a bug report on the tracker (Issue 1029).
>
> He also added that "This should only take 20 minutes to a Frog".
> I would really appreciate if one of you could take care of this.
>
> All infos are here :
>
>  "Issue 1029: \thumb should behave like other fingering"
>  http://code.google.com/p/lilypond/issues/detail?id=1029
>
>  Mats' answer: "Re: \thumb and Fingering: different priority?"
>  http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-devel/2010-03/msg00034.html

This is for me! I will do it in the following 2 weeks.
Frédéric

Re: Could a frog spend 20 min to help cellist's thumb?

Frédéric Bron
>> Mats gave the solution that is simply to change thumb's default value
>> of "avoid-slur" from "inside" to "around" and Valentin kindly opened
>> a bug report on the tracker (Issue 1029).

I have changed the definition of \thumb but no regression test is changed.
In fact only one regression test has \thumb in it and it is without a slur.
What is the policy here: just apply the change or apply the change and
add a regression test or modify the one already existing?

Frédéric

2010/4/19 Frédéric Bron <[hidden email]> :

> This is for me! I will do it in the following 2 weeks.

Merci Frédéric.
I didn't know you were a frog, that's great!  :D

> I have changed the definition of \thumb but no regression test is changed.
> In fact only one regression test has \thumb in it and it is without a slur.
> What is the policy here: just apply the change or apply the change and
> add a regression test or modify the one already existing?

Just to make sure, have you seen Mark's recent comment on the tracker?
http://code.google.com/p/lilypond/issues/detail?id=1029#c2

Actually it seems that there is more to change than only 'avoid-slur
value in order to make \thumb behave like other fingerings.

Thank you both,
Xavier

On 4/20/10 1:38 AM, "Frédéric Bron" <[hidden email]> wrote:

>>> Mats gave the solution that is simply to change thumb's default value
>>> of "avoid-slur" from "inside" to "around" and Valentin kindly opened
>>> a bug report on the tracker (Issue 1029).
>
> I have changed the definition of \thumb but no regression test is changed.
> In fact only one regression test has \thumb in it and it is without a slur.
> What is the policy here: just apply the change or apply the change and
> add a regression test or modify the one already existing?

When the behavior has changed, a regression test should be created or
modified so that the new behavior is demonstrated.  That way, if a change in
the future causes it to break, we'll know about it.

Re: Could a frog spend 20 min to help cellist's thumb?

Neil Puttock
2010/4/20 Carl Sorensen <[hidden email]>:

> When the behavior has changed, a regression test should be created or
> modified so that the new behavior is demonstrated.  That way, if a change in
> the future causes it to break, we'll know about it.

I think in this case it's unnecessary: there's already a regression
test which tests #'avoid-slur = #'around, so there's little to be
gained by duplicating its behaviour.

Regards,
Neil

Re: Could a frog spend 20 min to help cellist's thumb?

Carl Sorensen

On 4/21/10 3:19 PM, "Neil Puttock" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> 2010/4/20 Carl Sorensen <[hidden email]>:
>
>> When the behavior has changed, a regression test should be created or
>> modified so that the new behavior is demonstrated.  That way, if a change in
>> the future causes it to break, we'll know about it.
>
> I think in this case it's unnecessary: there's already a regression
> test which tests #'avoid-slur = #'around, so there's little to be
> gained by duplicating its behaviour.

Is there a regression test for thumb scripts?

2010/4/22 Carl Sorensen <[hidden email]>:

> Is there a regression test for thumb scripts?

No, but why should there be?  It's just a bog-standard Script: there
are no features unique to \thumb which mark it out as a special case
amongst the articulations.

Regards,
Neil

On 4/23/10 4:13 PM, "Neil Puttock" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> 2010/4/22 Carl Sorensen <[hidden email]>:
>
>> Is there a regression test for thumb scripts?
>
> No, but why should there be?  It's just a bog-standard Script: there
> are no features unique to \thumb which mark it out as a special case
> amongst the articulations.

My only reason for thinking there should be is that we had a bug because the
thumb script had improper settings.  Now we've fixed it.  If somebody makes
a change in the future we ought to see it in the regression tests somewhere.

2010/4/24 Neil Puttock <[hidden email]> :

> No, but why should there be?  It's just a bog-standard Script: there
> are no features unique to \thumb which mark it out as a special case
> amongst the articulations.

Instrumentally-speaking, it's not an articulation, it's a fingering.

By the way I suppose it would be too difficult/unappropriated to make
\thumb engraved by the Fingering_engraver , which, from a non-dev point
of view, would seem more logical...

Anyway, thanks for the attention you bear to this.

Cheers,
Xavier

2010/4/24 Xavier Scheuer <[hidden email]>:

> Instrumentally-speaking, it's not an articulation, it's a fingering.

Yes, but I was talking about how it's implemented in LilyPond.

> By the way I suppose it would be too difficult/unappropriated to make
> \thumb engraved by the Fingering_engraver , which, from a non-dev point
> of view, would seem more logical...

That's a nice idea (and easily implemented without touching the engraver):

thumb =
#(make-music 'FingeringEvent
                     'text (markup #:fontsize 5 #:musicglyph "scripts.thumb"))

\relative c' {
  \override Fingering #'text =
  #(lambda (grob)
     (let ((finger-text (ly:event-property (event-cause grob) 'text)))
          (if (markup? finger-text)
                            finger-text
                            (fingering::calc-text grob))))
  c4\thumb