CG Feedback

David Pounder
Hi list.

I thought I'd post a quick note of the issues I faced downloading and
building LilyPond. On the whole the experience was far less painful
that I thought it would be but I hope the following may be of use. I
would have posted this earlier, but I made the mistake of doing a 'make
check' and I've only just got my PC back again :)

My main misunderstanding was to do with 'git add' and 'git commit' as
I had the impression that git commit only commits modifications and not
additions. The new section 2 of the CG is much clearer on this than
before, but I think the line in 2.3.4:

"The -a is short for --all which includes modified and deleted files,
but not newly created files."

would be better as:

"The -a is short for --all which includes modified and deleted files,
but only newly created files which have been added with git add."

or something to that effect.

My next problem was not being sure how to look at the changes but this
has been addressed (git diff HEAD.)

When building LilyPond I was confused that the general build
instructions (3.1.3) were different from the instructions for building
on a Virtual Machine (3.3),  in particular that there is no ./configure
after the ./autogen.sh - in the end I assumed that it should have been
there and ran the configure script anyway. Something went wrong with my
build as, although LilyPond and the docs all seemed fine, convert-ly
couldn't find a library. Unfortunately I have no idea what I did wrong
to cause this. Rebuilding from scratch fixed it.

Everything else was quite pain free. I deliberately chose a more
difficult route to contributing a snippet than necessary but the
learning trip was useful to me and I hope the feedback can be of use to
someone else.

Regards,

David.

2009: A year in review - http://www.tiscali.co.uk/2009

Re: CG Feedback

Carl Sorensen

On 1/16/10 11:14 AM, "[hidden email]" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi list.
>
> I thought I'd post a quick note of the issues I faced downloading and
> building LilyPond. On the whole the experience was far less painful
> that I thought it would be but I hope the following may be of use. I
> would have posted this earlier, but I made the mistake of doing a 'make
> check' and I've only just got my PC back again :)
>
> My main misunderstanding was to do with 'git add' and 'git commit' as
> I had the impression that git commit only commits modifications and not
> additions. The new section 2 of the CG is much clearer on this than
> before, but I think the line in 2.3.4:
>
> "The -a is short for --all which includes modified and deleted files,
> but not newly created files."
>
> would be better as:
>
> "The -a is short for --all which includes modified and deleted files,
> but only newly created files which have been added with git add."

Thanks for the suggestion.  I've made the change in git.

> or something to that effect.
>
> My next problem was not being sure how to look at the changes but this
> has been addressed (git diff HEAD.)
>
> When building LilyPond I was confused that the general build
> instructions (3.1.3) were different from the instructions for building
> on a Virtual Machine (3.3),  in particular that there is no ./configure
> after the ./autogen.sh - in the end I assumed that it should have been
> there and ran the configure script anyway.

I think that ./autogen.sh will automatically run configure, so that it's not
necessary to run ./configure after you do ./autogen.sh.

If somebody else corrects me on this, I'll make the change to the CG.

> Something went wrong with my
> build as, although LilyPond and the docs all seemed fine, convert-ly
> couldn't find a library. Unfortunately I have no idea what I did wrong
> to cause this. Rebuilding from scratch fixed it.
>
> Everything else was quite pain free. I deliberately chose a more
> difficult route to contributing a snippet than necessary but the
> learning trip was useful to me and I hope the feedback can be of use to
> someone else.

Thanks for providing the test of our documentation.  It's great to have you
helping to make things better.  And it's *wonderful* to have the
Contributor's Guide to capture this knowledge that used to be buried in the
-devel archives.

Thanks to all who have helped put it together!

Re: CG Feedback

David Pounder
<[hidden email]>, "lilypond-devel"<[hidden email]>
>Subj: Re: [frogs] CG Feedback
>

>I think that ./autogen.sh will automatically run configure, so that
it's not
>necessary to run ./configure after you do ./autogen.sh.
>
>If somebody else corrects me on this, I'll make the change to the CG.

I'm sure you're right - my problem was that the generic instructions
for building were different from the instructions for building on a
virtual machine and I couldn't understand why. It wasn't a major
problem though.

>Thanks to all who have helped put it together!

+1

- David

2009: A year in review - http://www.tiscali.co.uk/2009

Re: CG Feedback

Graham Percival
On Sat, Jan 16, 2010 at 06:19:08PM -0700, Carl Sorensen wrote:

> On 1/16/10 11:14 AM, "[hidden email]" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > When building LilyPond I was confused that the general build
> > instructions (3.1.3) were different from the instructions for building
> > on a Virtual Machine (3.3),  in particular that there is no ./configure
> > after the ./autogen.sh - in the end I assumed that it should have been
> > there and ran the configure script anyway.
>
> I think that ./autogen.sh will automatically run configure, so that it's not
> necessary to run ./configure after you do ./autogen.sh.

This is correct; ./configure is not needed right after ./autogen.sh

That said, I'm not certain if the Virtual Machine section should
have the compiling commands.  My first instinct would be to have
the download + virtualbox instructions... possibly even in chapter
1 or 2, or possibly in the Requirements section of chapter 3...
and then to direct people to the normal compiling instructions.

A proper job of this stuff would be 5-10 hours, though.

Cheers,
- Graham